The mayor of Springfield is renewing calls to keep repeat offenders off the city’s streets
2 mins read

The mayor of Springfield is renewing calls to keep repeat offenders off the city’s streets

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Additional suspects were charged Monday evening in Springfield District Court in connection with last Wednesday’s shooting that sent Springfield Police Officer Nestor Santos to the hospital and struck three MassDOT employees and a woman pregnant after car chase on I-91.

Mayor Domenic Sarno, in response to the recent wave of violence in the city, reiterates his appeals to the justice system to ensure that perpetrators of recidivism stay outside the city streets. Two more suspects have been charged following a Wednesday evening shooting that left Officer Santos with serious injuries.

The suspects are 18-year-old Robert Willis and 26-year-old Dwight Clark. The judge orders them held without bail.

“The violence in this case is extreme. Shooting at police officers and injuring people while trying to escape,” the Commonwealth’s Attorney said during the arraignment.

Last Friday, three suspects were arraigned and ordered held without bail. 16 and 17-year-olds were arrested and the Commonwealth planned to try them as adults. A total of seven people were arrested in connection with the violence last week, five of whom had previously been arrested on firearms charges.

“I fund re-entry programs through Sheriff Cocchi. We are working closely with Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni,” said Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno. “What piece of the puzzle is missing? Judicial. Courts. “Judges still have discretion… I am trying to change the laws to strengthen bail reform laws in these specific situations.”

Mayor Sarno says the city continues its efforts to respond to violent crimes on city streets, especially after last year’s record number of homicides. Springfield Officer Nestor Santos has been recovering from his injuries since the incident at a Boston hospital, although he may be blind in one eye.

MassDOT confirmed to 22News that three workers were also injured. Everything is expected to be fine. The three suspects indicted on Friday will appear in court on June 13.

Kristina D’Amours is a reporter on the 22News evening team. Follow Krystyna on X @KristinaD_WWLP and check out her bio to see more of her work.