Police are providing an update after a teenager was allegedly raped at a property in Southampton
1 min read

Police are providing an update after a teenager was allegedly raped at a property in Southampton

Police have released a man arrested as part of an investigation into the alleged rape of a teenager.

A 25-year-old from Southampton was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of rape.

He has since been released from police custody to allow further investigations.

The man will remain on bail until September 9.

The ruling came after police officers were called after 7.20pm on Sunday to reports that a 16-year-old girl had been raped by a man at an address at International Way.

Police said the victim had met the man earlier in the day.

The incident came three days after a 40-year-old woman was allegedly raped in East Park downtown last week.

Police said they did not treat the two incidents as related.

Southampton Chief Inspector Phil Lamb told the Echo yesterday: “We want to reassure women and girls who report cases of serious sexual assault and rape to us that they will receive specialist support and care from a specially trained officer.

“Working in partnership is key to making our streets, open spaces, public transport and homes safer for women and girls. We want you to know that we are here to protect you if you need our help.”