Shocking moment Nancy Pelosi admits in new video that she ‘takes responsibility’ for not deploying the National Guard on January 6
5 mins read

Shocking moment Nancy Pelosi admits in new video that she ‘takes responsibility’ for not deploying the National Guard on January 6

By Jon Michael Raasch, political reporter in Washington, D.C., for Dailymail.Com

23:24 June 10, 2024, updated 23:24 June 10, 2024



Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi admitted that she was responsible for the National Guard’s lack of readiness to deal with the January 6 riot at the Capitol.

This shocking admission comes almost 3.5 years after the riots. Republicans say the never-before-seen video undermines Democrats’ claims that Trump was solely responsible for the Jan. 6 security failures.

In a video shot by Pelosi’s daughter, Alexandria, as the pair fled the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, the former speaker can be seen asking, “Why wasn’t the National Guard there from the beginning?”

“Clearly they didn’t know, and I take responsibility for not preparing them for more,” Pelosi told her chief of staff, Terri McCullough.

The video was posted on X on Monday by Republicans leading the House Oversight Subcommittee on Administration.

The clip shows Pelosi in the backseat of a car, driving quickly through what appears to be a parking lot on the Capitol grounds.

As the car quickly maneuvers through the structure, a frustrated Pelosi can be seen asking questions about the rapid escalation of the riot.

“This is ridiculous,” the exasperated Democrat says to her employee in the recording.

“You’re going to ask me — in the middle of this whole thing, after the inaugural rules have already been violated — ‘should we call the Capitol Police?’ I mean the National Guard.

According to the findings of the now-defunct select committee on January 6, Pelosi, Sens. Chuck Schumer, D.N.Y. and Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and other lawmakers were led by security personnel to Fort McNair in southwest Washington. as the protest continues.

“Pelosi’s J6 Select Committee has spent taxpayer dollars pursuing false political narratives and using Hollywood producers for their ‘investigations,'” the subcommittee’s chairman, Rep. Barry Loudermilk, R-Ga., wrote in a letter on Monday.

“Her admission of responsibility directly contradicts their own narrative.”

Previously, the Democratic-led Jan. 6 commission tried to portray Trump as an insurrectionist for delaying or obstructing the National Guard response.

However, according to video reviewed by Politico, Pelosi tried to coordinate the military response to the riots with then-Vice President Mike Pence, telling him “we are disappointed that (the Secretary of Defense) has waited so long to approve the National Guard.” ‘

During the riot, she told Pence that the National Guard was already at the Capitol but did not yet have permission to engage protesters.

That day, Pelosi also questioned why Capitol Police had not properly planned for a large protest to turn violent and that security officials should have been more forthcoming about what might happen on Jan. 6.

Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she “takes responsibility” for the National Guard not being “prepared for more” on the day of the Capitol riot on January 6
Supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump march in front of the Capitol Rotunda after storming the Capitol building on January 6, 2021.
January 6 rioters are shown above standing outside the House of Representatives chamber
US President Donald Trump speaks at the “Save America March” rally in Washington, United States, January 6, 2021, just before the Capitol riot

Still, despite the new video, the National Guard is jointly overseen by the U.S. Army and Air Force, which report to the president, not the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

However, Capitol Police are filing a speaker’s report. Although they denied the demand for additional National Guard troops.

But Pelosi’s critics say she was responsible for miscommunications that led to the National Guard’s delayed response to the riot.

“For years, I have testified under oath in the media and everywhere else that Nancy Pelosi was responsible for not engaging the National Guard on January 6 after President Trump constitutionally AUTHORIZED the National Guard and provided receipts,” said former Trump adviser Kash Patel. he told DailyMail.com.

Patel said he was vilified for claiming that Trump authorized The Guard to respond three days before the Jan. 3 riot.

A Trump adviser and former National Security Council official attended a Jan. 3 meeting in which he claims Trump agreed that defense officials told Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser and then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that they had the authority to deploy the National Air Force . On this day, guard the district and the United States Capitol Building.

He previously told DailyMail.com that Capitol Police and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser rejected the offer of an armed National Guard.

Patel said that “that day, we dispatched Department of Defense leadership to Bowser and Pelosi and the Capitol Police” to inform them that they had successfully deployed the National Guard to help protect the Capitol and the district.

Patel was an official on the US National Security Council under Trump. He testified before a Jan. 6 panel regarding the Oval Office meeting in which Trump authorized the deployment of the National Guard to Washington
Kash Patel says the smear campaign against him is dead after a newly discovered transcript suppressed by the January 6 panel confirms his testimony that Donald Trump actually authorized 10,000 National Guard troops

But he claims they “said no.”

“Now, recordings of Pelosi herself from January 6 show that she blamed herself for not doing more,” Patel said in a statement on Monday.

“The lie was spread by much of the media and the American people were once again robbed of the truth for political gain,” his statement continued.