An off-duty police officer allegedly fatally shot a 17-year-old boy at a Wash sporting goods store.
3 mins read

An off-duty police officer allegedly fatally shot a 17-year-old boy at a Wash sporting goods store.

A 51-year-old man is facing murder charges after Washington, D.C., police say he fatally shot a 17-year-old boy in the parking lot of a Big 5 Sporting Goods on Wednesday, June 5, when the boy tried to return an airsoft gun. with two friends.

According to a press release from the Renton Police Department, the incident occurred around 7:30 p.m. in Renton, Washington. The suspect, identified as Aaron Brown Myers, allegedly approached three teenagers in a parking lot and a physical altercation occurred, charging him with charges filed on June 10 and reviewed by PEOPLE State.

The three teenagers were walking toward the store to return the airsoft gun – previously reported as an air rifle – when the suspect approached them with a firearm, according to the charging document.

Police say Myers, an off-duty police officer, then shot the 17-year-old victim multiple times.

King County Sheriff’s Office deputies immediately responded to the incident and initiated “life-saving measures,” but the victim died at the scene, according to the release.

Myers was charged with second-degree murder with an enhanced firearm and second-degree assault with an enhanced firearm. He is currently in the King County Jail on $2 million bail.

According to the charging document, Myers claimed he was in the area to conduct “surveillance” after noticing an increase in crime in the parking lot. He allegedly believed that a group of teenagers were going to “commit a violent robbery.”

Investigators obtained surveillance footage from a sporting goods store and a nearby martial arts studio, which they say showed one of the teenagers taking a replica from his pocket and placing it on the ground after Myers approached them with a gun.

As the argument continued, the suspect pushed the teen to the ground and straddled him while pointing a gun at the victim, who had his “fingers extended” to show his hands were empty, the charging document states. According to the charging document, when the victim “briefly” lowered his hand to his waist while moving away from Myers, the suspect shot the victim multiple times.

According to indictments, the two surviving teenagers claimed that they repeatedly told Myers that “it wasn’t a real gun, it was an air gun.”

On Friday, June 7 at Kent’s reporter identified the victim as a local high school student, Hazrat Ali Rohani, after the school’s principal confirmed his death in an email to families.

Want to stay up to date with the latest crime news? Subscribe to PEOPLEthe free True Crime newsletter featuring breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

“Our thoughts are with his friends and family at this sensitive time,” the principal wrote.

The charging document states that an autopsy performed by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office determined Rohani’s cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds. The teenager suffered at least seven gunshot wounds, six of them in the back.

It is unclear whether Myers has retained a lawyer to act on his behalf.